The World Economic Forum has identified neck pain as a danger during the pandemic. CDAHK doctors have released prospective studies on neck pain and scoliosis during the pandemic.
As every area of our lives was affected by the new Omicron variety, work-from-home had made more people sick with neck pain (1) and scoliosis (2). Scoliosis patients are commonly adjusted by chiropractors (3) and Chiropractic Doctors Association of Hong Kong (CDAHK) has conducted prospective studies on scoliosis and quality of life (4) in 2022.
“Most scoliosis patients don’t care about the way they are sitting until they have scoliosis and back pain. Because it can take months to develop the pain, its easy to change your spinal curve if you have bad posture,” Dr Eric Chun-Pu Chu, leading researcher at New York Medical Group (NYMG) and chairman of CDAHK.
“Many clinical studies had identified that poor posture can cause microtrauma and misalignment to your neck, and make you in pain (1, 5-8), dizziness (9,10,11), numbness (8.9), and scoliosis (12). When it becomes a chronic disease, its harder for the chiropractors to correct the curve,” Chu said.
Understanding the patient’s journey from the patient’s point of view becomes crucial in managing scoliosis (13). NYMG had also conducted a research by giving the theoretical framework for creating the patient experience (14). It helps many chiropractors to provide better care in the pandemic period.
“As the COVID pandemic may not end shortly, chiropractors shall improve their care in chronic pain by correcting spinal curves, and progressing toward better outcomes and quality of life,” Chu said.
People need to recognize the chronic neck pain and back pain (14-19) lurking in their homes with bad posture during pandemic.
See below for recently-released scoliosis, back and neck pain reports in regard to chiropractic care.
- Chu EC. Preventing the progression of text neck in a young man: A case report. Radiol Case Rep. 2022 Mar;17(3):978-982.
- Leung K, Huang K, Chu EC. Chiropractic management as conservative care for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: A cases report. Asia-Pac Chiropr J. 2021 September; 2(2).
- Pu Chu EC, Chakkaravarthy DM, Huang KHK, Ho VWK, Lo FS, Bhaumik A. Changes in radiographic parameters following chiropractic treatment in 10 patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: A retrospective chart review. Clin Pract. 2020 Sep 4;10(3):1258.
- Chu ECP. Improvement of quality of life by conservative management of thoracic scoliosis at 172: a case report. JOURNAL of MEDICINE and LIFE 15 (1), 144, 2022.
- Chu EC. Remission of Headache and Neck Pain Following Chiropractic Manipulative Treatment in a Patient with Neurofibromatosis. Chiropractic Journal of Australia. 2022 February; 49(1):8-18.
- Chu EC. Adjacent segment pathology of the cervical spine A case report. Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care. 2022 February; 11(2):787-789.
- Chu EC, Leung K, Ng LL, Lam A. Vascular Thoracic Outlet Syndrome: A Case Report. J Contemp Chiropr. 2021 December; 4(1):142–145.
- Chu ECP. Alleviating cervical radiculopathy by manipulative correction of reversed cervical lordosis: 4 years follow-up. J Family Med Prim Care. 2021 Nov;10(11):4303-4306.
- Chu EC, Wong AY. Cervicogenic Dizziness in an 11-Year-Old Girl: A Case Report. Adolesc Health Med Ther. 2021;12:111-116.
- Chu EC, Zoubi FA, Yang J. Cervicogenic Dizziness Associated With Craniocervical Instability: A Case Report. J Med Cases. 2021 Nov;12(11):451-454.
- Chu ECP, Chin WL, Bhaumik A. Cervicogenic dizziness. Oxf Med Case Reports. 2019 Nov;2019(11):476-478.
- Chu EC. Lumbosacral transitional vertebra as a potential contributing factor to scoliosis: a report of two cases. Asia Pacific Chiropractic Journal. 2020 July; 1.
- Chu EC, Yau K, Ho V, Yun S. The scalable approach to the Chiropractic patient journey. Asia Pacific Chiropractic Journal. 2022 February; 2(5):2-8.
- Chu E. Smart Rehabilitation Clinic. Journal of Contemporary Chiropractic. 2022; 5(1):7-12.
- Chu EC, Wong A. Change in Pelvic Incidence Associated With Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction: A Case Report. Journal of Medical Cases. 2022 January; 13(1):31-35.
- Chu ECP, Wong AYL, Lee LYK. Chiropractic care for low back pain, gait and posture in a patient with Parkinson’s disease: a case report and brief review. AME Case Rep. 2021;5:34.
- Chu EC, Butler KR. Resolution of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease Following Correction for Upper Cross Syndrome-A Case Study and Brief Review. Clin Pract. 2021 May 21;11(2):322-326.
- Chu ECP, Wong AYL. Chronic Orchialgia Stemming From Lumbar Disc Herniation: A Case Report and Brief Review. Am J Mens Health. 2021 May-Jun;15(3):15579883211018431.
- Chu ECP. Taming of the Testicular Pain Complicating Lumbar Disc Herniation With Spinal Manipulation. Am J Mens Health. 2020 Jul-Aug;14(4):1557988320949358.