June 5, 2012 — The Federation of Chiropractic Licensing Boards (FCLB) hosted its 86th Annual Educational Congress May 2-6 in San Antonio. The conference focused on honing the skills of regulators.
Approximately 130 attendees from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the U.S. represented chiropractic licensing boards, testing, associations, and chiropractic colleges.
The educational portion of the conference opened with the keynote address from Ms. Donna Liewer, executive director of the FCLB. Liewer spoke about branding regulation and public perception of our purpose.
The following day, Dr. Guy Riekeman, president of Life University, delivered the 22nd Annual Joseph Janse Lecture, speaking about the underlying qualities of effective leadership.
As a special gift this year, attendees received copies of Dr. Reed Phillips’ book, Joseph Janse: The Apostle of Chiropractic Education donated by Dr. Terry Yochum.
Other educational sessions at the conference included:
- Certifying Chiropractic Clinical Assistants
- Chiropractic testing
- Strategies for updating statutes
- Reciprocity vs. endorsement
- Determining and maintaining competency
- Standards for post-discipline monitoring
- International regulatory standards and discipline
- Online education
- The current edits to the draft Model Practice Act as presented by the FCLB task force
- Medicare audit standards and how they affect regulatory boards
Dr. Louis Sportelli delivered Saturday’s summary presentation urging boards to address travel to treat issues and to ensure that approved CE credits are for topics within the scope of practice.
Elections – FCLB Board of Directors
- District IV Director: Dr. Maggie Colucci (NV)
- District V Director: Dr. Michael Coon (SC)
- District IV Alternate Director: Dr. Gary Counselman (KS)
- District V Alternate Director: Dr. Ned Martello (LA)
- Administrative Fellow Director: Dr. Larry Spicer (MN)
The FCLB Board of Directors named Dr. Gary Pennebaker (MN) to serve as Board Chair.
Awards and Recognition
Dr. O’Connor presented awards to the following individuals and organizations.
- 2012 Dr. Earl L. Wiley Outstanding Board Award: the Washington Chiropractic Quality Assurance Commission
- Special Presidential Recognition: Dr. Phillip Donato (AUS), Dr. Karen Mathiak (GA), Dr. Lisa Richard (NS), Dr. Albert Stabile (NJ)
- Pillars of Chiropractic recognizing dedication to public protection: Dr. Steve Conway (WI), Dr. Stephen Foreman (CA), Dr. Michael Massey (TN), Dr. Dwight Schmidt (ND), Dr. Richard Tollefson (MN), Ms. Joan Carl (FCLB)
- 2012 George R. Arvidson Award for Meritorious Service: Dr. Hank Hulteen (SC)
- 2012 Dr. Wayne Wolfson Scholarship Award: Mr. Steve Bearden (Parker University)
A complete agenda, list of faculty, awards presentations and many of the 2012 educational sessions are available on the Federation’s website at fclb.org.
Next year’s meeting is scheduled for May 1-5, 2013 at the Grand Hyatt San Francisco.
Source: Federation of Chiropractic Licensing Boards, fclb.org