March 13, 2014 — The American Chiropractic Association (ACA) recently announced its 2014 Annual Award recipients, who were honored during ACA’s recent House of Delegates (HOD) meeting in Washington, D.C. ACA’s Annual Awards are presented to outstanding volunteer members and other individuals for their contributions to the chiropractic profession.
The association’s highest honor, the Chiropractor of the Year Award, was presented to Immediate Past-President Keith Overland, DC. The award recognizes exceptional service, achievement and leadership to the profession. Overland went above and beyond these attributes during his two and a half-year term as ACA president, navigating massive changes within the association, the profession and the nation’s healthcare system.
Retiring U.S. Senator Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) received the Humanitarian of the Year Award during a gala event in his honor. The award recognizes his commitment to patients’ access to the healthcare provider of their choice. Additionally, as a long-time champion of the chiropractic profession, Sen. Harkin fought tirelessly for the inclusion of chiropractic services in several federal programs and in healthcare reform legislation.
Other 2014 award recipients include:
- Renee M. DeVries, DC, associate professor, college of chiropractic, Northwestern Health Sciences University: Academic of the Year Award
- John M. Mayer, DC, PhD, Lincoln College Endowed chair in Biomechanical & Chiropractic Research, School of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Sciences, Morsani College of Medicine, University of South Florida (USF): George B. McClelland, DC, Researcher of the Year Award
- Frank A. Stiso, DC: Delegate of the Year Award
- William Doggett, DC: Alternate Delegate of the Year Award
- Craig A. Newman, DC: Flynn-Lynch Award, recognizing a member of the HOD who has served fewer than five years
“ACA is able to accomplish a tremendous amount of work with fairly modest resources due in large part to its dedicated volunteers,” said ACA President Anthony Hamm, DC. “It’s important to take a moment each year to acknowledge the commitment and passion of these individuals, who are vital to our success.”
In addition, New York Chiropractic College and the ACA Sports Council received the College of the Year and Council of the Year awards, respectively.