After you have your chiropractic license, you can receive Medicare provider status for your practice. Here is what you need to do:
1. Get your NPI number, if you haven’t done this already. Go to the NPPES website and follow the directions.
2. You will need to find the carrier for your state, from the list of fee-for-service providers.
3. Then, you will need the appropriate enrollment form:
4. Fill out the enrollment form completely and include the required documents, like your chiropractic license and any business licenses. Be sure you answer all questions, using N/A or “Not Applicable” for any that doesn’t apply to you. Leaving an entry blank may cause the carrier to return the application to you.
5. You will also need to fill out Form 588 for sending electronic fund transfer authorization.
6. Send the Medicare enrollment form to the carrier in your state. You might want to call and see if they will walk you through questions, so you can avoid having the application returned to you for errors.
The more accurate and complete you are in filling out the Medicare enrollment application, the better your chances of getting accepted soon after you start practice.