May 9, 2018 – The Federation of Chiropractic Licensing Boards hosted its 92nd Annual Educational Congress May 3-6 in Dallas, TX. The conference focused on the qualities that make regulators more effective. Approximately 140 attendees from North America represented chiropractic licensing boards, testing, associations, and chiropractic colleges.
On Thursday, the educational portion of the conference opened with the 28th Annual Joseph Janse Lecture delivered by Frank Nicchi, DC. Thursday’s presenters also included Sherry McAllister, DC, Executive Vice President of the Foundation for Chiropractic Progress, speaking about the opioid epidemic; Gerard Clum, DC, presenting on stroke in chiropractic; Attorney Dale Atkinson talking about delegation and conflict of interest; and Drs. Bill Ormston and Amy Hayak, discussing animal chiropractic. Afternoon sessions included an attorney panel, membership workshop, and presentation about the foundational goals and purpose of regulation.
Friday’s portion of the conference was hosted by the National Board of Chiropractic Examiners and included a keynote address by Mr. John Floyd, JD. Mr. Floyd spoke on malpractice and legal issues.
Other educational sessions at the conference included:
• DOT and FAA BasicMed physicals
• Robert’s Rules
• Licensure Exams and Services of the National Board of Chiropractic Examiners
Elections – FCLB Board of Directors
• District IV Director: Dr. Cynthia Tays (TX)
• District V Director: Dr. Ned Martello (LA)
• District IV Alternate Director: Dr. Karen Campion (TX)
• District V Alternate Director: Dr. Deb Hoffman (FL)
• Executive Fellow Director: Ms. Patricia Oliver (LA)
The FCLB Board of Directors named District IV Director Dr. Cynthia Tays (TX) to serve as Board Chair.
Awards and Recognition
Dr. Colucci presented awards to the following individuals and organizations:
• Special Presidential Recognition: Ms. Lisa Blanchard (ND) and Ms. Bridget Seader (FCLB)
• 2018 Dr. Wayne Wolfson Scholarship Award: Mr. Justin Stilson (Parker College of Chiropractic)
• 2018 Donna Liewer-Cohen Regulatory Scholarship: Ms. Adrienne Price (GA)
• 2018 NBCE Administrator scholarships: Ms. Micki Becker (MN), Mr. Dennis Clark (MT), Dr. Brian Zachariah (IL), Ms. Allyson Pettley (UT)
• 2018 Pennebaker/Wiley Outstanding Board Award: Oregon Board of Chiropractic Examiners
• 2018 George R. Arvidson Award for Meritorious Service: Dr. Paul Townsend (NBCE)
A complete agenda, list of faculty, awards presentations and many of the 2018 educational sessions are available on the Federation’s website at www.fclb.org.
Next year’s meeting is scheduled for May 1-5, 2019, in Mission Bay, CA.