July 13, 2011 — Texas Chiropractic College (TCC) and its Office of Postgraduate Studies are announced they will offer the new “Certified Chiropractic Wellness Specialist” program this fall, with the first of the four courses held on Sept. 24. This is the first time this program will be available in Texas.
This 40-hour program was developed in a partnership between the American Chiropractic Association (ACA) and the National Wellness Institute (NWI). The objective is to enable attendees to integrate principles of health behavior, wellness coaching, health promotion, and disease prevention into their current practice. The program is designed for licensed DCs as well as current chiropractic students who are enrolled in Trimester 5 or higher.
The first session will prepare the doctor for implementing evidence-based wellness and primary prevention in practice and will create a knowledge-base in epidemiology, health behavioral theory, health communications, and community health advocacy.
Wellness coaching skills, worksite wellness evaluation, and consulting will be taught in subsequent modules and those completing the capstone project and all modules will join the National Wellness Institute, a leader in wellness since 1977.
The complete curriculum is available online here..
This program is sponsored by the ACA and all classes will be held on the TCC campus from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on each scheduled date. The complete schedule is:
- Sept. 24, 2011: Principles of Health Promotion and Disease Prevention (10 Hours) – Will Evans, DC, PhD, MCHES
- Oct. 15, 2011: Principles and Applications of Wellness Coaching (10 Hours) – Cheryl Hawk, DC, PhD, CHES
- Nov. 5, 2011: Worksite Wellness (10 Hours) – Mike Perko, PhD, MCHES, FAAHE
- Dec. 3, 2011: Applications of Wellness Coaching, Presentation of Capstone Project (10 Hours) – Will Evans, DC, PhD, MCHES
Registration costs are:
- ACA Member: $299 per session/$996 for 4
- Non ACA Member – $399 per session/$1496 for 4
- New Practitioner – $259 per session/$936 for 4 (New practitioner is within the first 5 years of graduation/setting up their practice.)
- Student – $159 per session/$596 for 4
To receive certification as a chiropractic wellness specialist, participants must complete all four modules of the program and develop a successful capstone project. Further training can also lead to Certified Wellness Practitioner status from NWI.
To enroll in this program, please visit the ACA website and download the registration form at http://www.acatoday.org/pdf/TCC_CCWS_Reg.pdf. For additional information, please contact the ACA Education Department at 703-276-8800 or firstname.lastname@example.org or TCC’s Office of Postgraduate Studies at 1-800-533-9822 or 281-487-5656 or email@example.com.
Source: Texas Chiropractic College, www.txchiro.edu