June 6, 2011 — Northwestern Health Sciences University students, faculty, and staff, along with several alumni and board members gathered at a Founder’s Day celebration June 2. The event focused on the founding of Northwestern College of Chiropractic in 1941, more than 70 years ago.
Bloomington Mayor Gene Winstead was on hand, praising the relationships the University has built within the community since it relocated to its current campus. “We are happy to have Northwestern in the community,” said Winstead, “Seventy years is an amazing accomplishment.”
A historical presentation by John Wolfe, DC, JD, Northwestern’s compliance officer, featured little-known facts on the history of chiropractic care in Minnesota and the events that led to the founding of our school. He concluded the presentation with the formation of Northwestern College of Chiropractic 1941, which was founded by his father, John B. Wolfe, DC.
The presentation started in 1899 when Julia C. Bowman, DC, was one of only two chiropractors in Minnesota. Wolfe discussed the tumultuous history of the industry in Minnesota including the founding and closing of several chiropractic schools, the passage of legislation and its effects on these schools, and influential doctors of chiropractic during the 40 year period.
According to Wolfe, there were two reasons that his father founded Northwestern. The first was to found a school that embraced the basic science law passed in 1927. The second was for political clout; without more students the chiropractic profession would not have political influence.
As Mike Wiles noted in his welcoming remarks, Northwestern has built a successful track record since it opened in 1941, expanding and growing into the institution we know today.
Source: Northwestern Health Sciences University, www.nwhealth.edu/nwtoday/index.html