Ira A. Shapiro, DC, director of the Plaza Chiropractic Center in Old Bridge, New Jersey, was inducted into the American Chiropractic Association (ACA) Sports Council Hall of Fame during ceremonies held October 14 at the organization’s annual symposium in Denver, Colorado. Shapiro is only the 11th chiropractor in the association’s 45-year history to be honored with this prestigious distinction. “This is a truly special honor,” says Dr. Carly Zuehlke, the newly-named ACA Sports Council president. “Dr. Shapiro is among the very few ever awarded this achievement. There is no higher recognition in sports chiropractic.”
- ACA hires quality expert Angela Kennedy, DC, to expand professional development
- HawkGrips supports Foundation for Chiropractic Progress
- National Chiropractic Health Month Begins Oct. 1
The number of Americans abusing prescription painkillers has leveled off in recent years, but there is no apparent decline yet. That’s the finding of a new study tracking the U.S. opioid abuse problem. Researchers found that after a large spike in the early 2000s, Americans’ misuse of prescription opioid painkillers has plateaued in recent years. Still, the issue isn’t going away: By 2014, the most recent survey year, close to 14 percent of U.S. adults and teenagers had ever abused the drugs — which include Vicodin (hydrocodone), OxyContin (oxycodone) and morphine.
- Cancers associated with obesity make up 40 percent of cancers diagnosed in U.S.
- Being in a good mood for your flu shot boosts its effectiveness
- New research on probiotics in the prevention and treatment of colon cancer
Leading chiropractic software provider, PayDC, today announced the hire of Evan M. Gwilliam, DC, as Clinical Director to complement and improve multiple areas of software development and expert customer support. More specifically, Gwilliam will draw from his deep experience to provide direction for the clinical elements of the software that help to ensure compliance and better treatment outcomes for patients, while providing improved ease-of-use of the software by staff. In addition, he will help build continuing education training for doctors and staff who need help with documentation or coding.
- Fulcrum Health, Inc. receives Press Ganey Guardian of Excellence Award for patient satisfaction
- Foot Levelers donates 150 laptops to its local public school system
- Business owner, Coach to Executives, Monica Wofford files to run for State Representative, District 32
In a ranking list compiled by Best Value Schools, Life University’s (LIFE’s) Master of Science in Positive Psychology online degree program ranked ninth best out of all online psychology master’s degree programs in the country. “Our ranking took the following components into consideration: tuition cost, accessibility, academic breadth, academic uniqueness, advanced opportunities and affordability,” explains Best Value Schools spokesperson Laura Kilmartin. “Our editors noted that LIFE is one of the best values for an online psychology master’s degree program. Its academic uniqueness and multiple online concentrations helped it earn a high ranking on our list.”
- Sherman College breaks ground on Drs. Thom & Betty Gelardi Student Center
- Life U hosts 2nd annual Baseball and Sports Performance Conference
- Logan University adds pediatrics to chiropractic services