February 11, 2014 — The 11th annual student leadership forum was recently held by the National Board of Chiropractic Examiners (NBCE). This year’s group represented 11 student leaders and four student organizations.
The students were welcomed by NBCE President Norman E. Ouzts, Jr., DC, who thanked them for their commitment to leadership within the chiropractic profession. In introducing the agenda, Ouzts assured attendees that, “We hope to learn from you today and that you will learn from us. We ask only that you put aside preconceived notions about the NBCE. The day offers many opportunities to ask questions of NBCE senior management, and we hope you will take advantage of our willingness to share with you.”
As in past years, the students were introduced to the foundations of NBCE testing, with special emphasis on explaining the relationship between the NBCE and state regulatory boards, the cost of exams and how these costs are set, the complexities of post-exam analysis, and score reporting. The student leaders also participated in a focus group that evaluated student experience in applications, exam administration and security, score reporting, transcripts, and overall customer service.
Dr. Leroy Otto, president of the Federation of Chiropractic Licensing Boards (and NBCE Director), also presented a short overview of that organization and its role in gathering and sharing information on regulatory matters.
- American Black Chiropractic Association
- Corey Harrington, national student representative (Palmer College of Chiropractic)
- Shacarolyn Halyard, Eastern student representative (Life University, College of Chiropractic)
- Chucky Jordan, central student representative (Logan University, College of Chiropractic)
- Student American Chiropractic Association
- Steven Huybrecht, national chair (Northwestern Health Sciences University)
- Robert Weiss, national vice-chair (Palmer College of Chiropractic)
- Erica Heppe, National Legislative Vice-Chair (Palmer College of Chiropractic West)
- Student International Chiropractors Association
- Cordie Williams, international student president (Life University, College of Chiropractic)
- Kaleb Scroggin, Northeastern regional director (Life University, College of Chiropractic)
- World Congress of Chiropractic Students
- Sharni Meyer, president (Macquarie University)
- Andrew Finnie, vice president (Welsh Institute of Chiropractic at the University of Glamorgan)
- Justin Adams, secretary (Durban University of Technology)