Perhaps the quintessential aspect of being a chiropractor is the ability to take our hands and perform adjustments on the bones of the body. As a profession, we can do amazing things when we use our hands to relieve nerve interference and allow the body to function at its fullest potential.
No matter where you are in your chiropractic career, you are probably working on your adjusting techniques so you can become very skilled. It is very important to take the time and effort to practice, as one day adjusting will be just like breathing to you. Eventually it will come naturally and effortlessly for you.
Having been a student and thoroughly immersing myself in learning the ins and outs of the chiropractic adjustment, I want to make sure you realize that there are other aspects to being a successful chiropractor. One important service you can provide will complement your adjustments. Use ancillary products in your office to help your patients.
Ancillary products can include cervical pillows, nutritional supplements, exercise supplies, topical creams, moist heat packs, back supports and many other things. Patients are just going to go down to the local drug store and look for this stuff anyway, so why shouldn’t you be the one prescribing the proper product specific to their needs? Just a word of caution: some of the products you can sell to your patients require inventory or stock on hand. I will focus on five types of products you can use to help your patients and improve your practice at the same time.
1. Digital Foot Scanner – When patients get a look at a digital foot scanner hooked up to its laptop display, they are not only curious, but wonder if they would be eligible for a scan. Patients in my office are always remarking that the scanner is a great way to learn about their feet, and they use terms like “high tech” and “cutting edge.” The digital foot scanner paves an easy road for patients needing custom-made orthotics. This is a great practice revenue generator, and the orthotics provide the support that many of your patients need as well.
2. Cervical Support Pillows – Offering choices in cervical pillows is a very easy method of providing an ancillary product. Many people sleep on terrible pillows and then wonder why they are having neck pain and/or headaches. You will often be able to check a patient’s pillow, find out how unsupportive it is and then reach for one of yours as a better alternative. Since you have already done the research to select the best pillow available, the patients feel confident that they are getting a solid product.
3. Nutritional supplements – You need to do your research to see which company you want to use, but the sky is the limit to the possibilities. You will likely want to start with a few easy products like multivitamins, glucosamine, natural anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxants. To get more information, you can meet with representatives from most major nutritional companies. They will walk you through the products most chiropractors should carry in their offices.
4. Rehabilitation products – Not only can you teach your patients exercises in your office, you can offer products like elastic tubing, wobble boards, foam rollers and exercise balls. Even if you don’t have a full-blown rehab facility in your clinic, providing rehab equipment is a great way for your practice to improve its cash flow.
5. New technology/techniques – You may also choose to utilize new types of technologies or specific chiropractic techniques as ways of drawing people into your practice. For instance, cold laser therapy is a hot topic in our profession, and more and more chiropractors are getting lasers each day. Advertising that your clinic has a cold laser therapy machine will bring new patients to your door.
Why Go the Extra Mile?
You may be wondering why you should go through the process of offering more services than just your chiropractic care. But as this article explains, your care includes much more than just your adjustments. Any type of product or service that enhances your practice will allow you to care for more patients. It distinguishes you from other health offices because of the range you can cover. People are excited to know that their doctor keeps up on the latest technologies and offers the best products/choices of therapies specific to their needs. Your clinic becomes the place for patients to find everything they need instead of having to go elsewhere.
When it comes to running a successful practice, you have to go beyond just adjusting. Start thinking with your business mind! Do some research on products and services that you may someday have in your office to help improve your bottom line and your income stream.