The nonprofit organization spearheaded the integration of chiropractic medicine into managed care, established evidence-based care standards and Chiropractic Centers of Excellence, and expanded the availability of quality, physical medicine services for patients.
The number of practicing chiropractors is expected to increase 10% between 2021 and 2031 – faster than the average for all occupations – underscoring a growing consumer demand for physical medicine that supports overall wellbeing in a drug-free, less invasive manner. Fulcrum Health, Inc., the leading nonprofit physical medicine benefit management organization which has been a driving force behind the growth of physical medicine, is proud to announce it has achieved its 40-year milestone.
Established in 1983 by Thomas Allenburg, DC, the nonprofit organization was first known as Chiropractic Care of Minnesota Inc. (CCMI). Allenburg realized that for chiropractic care to become integrated into managed care, the industry needed a unified voice and a set of evidence-based standards by which care protocols and outcomes could be measured. He quickly seized the opportunity and assembled a working board of directors for the fledgling organization, with the singular goal to improve and advance the chiropractic profession. The board of directors incorporated chiropractic standards of practice and clinical research to create evidence-based guidelines consistent with chiropractic practices. This established trust among doctors of chiropractic and resulted in the launch of the ChiroCare network. The organization rebranded and changed its name to Fulcrum Health Inc. in 2016 with the vision to introduce additional physical medicine networks, such as acupuncture and massage therapy.
“Managed care was relatively new in the early ‘80s and the medical community didn’t understand chiropractic standards of care or how to determine appropriate care, which was a barrier to insurance coverage and patient utilization,” said Patricia Dennis, Fulcrum Health CEO and Board member. “Establishing evidence-based guidelines and standards of care opened the door for chiropractors and patients, as ChiroCare became the nation’s first PPO of chiropractors, which enabled successful partnerships with health insurance companies and fostered the integration of chiropractic services into covered benefits.”
Other major milestones for Fulcrum Health that advanced the field of physical medicine, created opportunities for healthcare providers, and improved access and quality of care for patients include:
- Expanding contracts to include most major health plan carriers across the Midwest.
- Serving more than 2 million patients each year with 2,900 network providers offering safe, non-pharmacological pain management services.
- Creating the AcuNet provider network of credentialed, licensed acupuncturists which seeks to provide a select network of the best acupuncture professionals.
- Establishing ChiroCare Centers of Excellence to recognize providers who meet or exceed established standards of patient-centered care and patient satisfaction.
- Earning national recognition from the Press Ganey Guardian of Excellence Award in five separate years based on achieving high-ranking patient satisfaction scores and performance.
- Creating the TruTouch provider network of credentialed massage therapists, as another conservative option for treating pain and to improve overall wellness.
- Delivering on the Triple Aim, beyond lowering total cost of care and increasing patient satisfaction, by collecting and rewarding providers on quality outcomes.
- Introducing Care Connections as navigation for simpler and more affordable care by using a collaborative care team approach.
“Since Day One, Fulcrum Health has successfully advanced its mission and the healthcare industry by staying focused on the total needs of patients, fostering collaborative care across the continuum of healthcare providers, and educating providers about whole-person health and patient-centered care,” said Vivi-Ann Fischer, D.C., chief clinical officer, Fulcrum Health. “I believe the next 40 years hold even greater opportunities for our organization to transform healthcare, improve the experience for patients, and expand the career potential for providers.”
For more information, visit fulcrumhealthinc.org.
About Fulcrum Health
Fulcrum Health Inc. is a non-profit, NCQA accredited, physical medicine benefit management organization delivering quality care through its credentialed chiropractic providers for 40 years. Its product offerings include chiropractic, acupuncture, massage therapy, and pain management services. Serving 2.1 million members in the Midwest, Fulcrum continues to offer innovative and inspiring ways to leverage physical medicine that help lower health care costs, achieve better outcomes, and increase patient satisfaction. Fulcrum Health is a multiple year recipient of the Press Ganey Guardian of Excellence Award for outstanding performance in patient satisfaction. For more information, visit fulcrumhealthinc.org. Follow us on LinkedIn.