November 5, 2009 — The American Chiropractic Association (ACA) recognizes the invaluable contributions of the Foundation for Chiropractic Education and Research (FCER), which for more than 60 years led the way in establishing a research infrastructure for the chiropractic profession.
While FCER recently announced it was closing its doors, it has left an indelible mark on the profession, funding many research projects and the training of some of today’s premier chiropractic researchers, thereby ensuring its legacy for years to come.
“While the loss of FCER is disappointing, we can take comfort that FCER fulfilled its mission to further chiropractic research. We can feel proud that it accomplished as much as it did over the years,” said ACA President Rick McMichael, DC. “Thanks to FCER’s grant program, chiropractic research is stronger today than it was half a century ago. Thanks to its fellowship program, we have doctors of chiropractic who are qualified to do the research necessary to continually improve the quality of our care and demonstrate the value of what we do to the public as well as insurers.”
In 1944, ACA’s predecessor, the National Chiropractic Association (NCA) created the Chiropractic Research Foundation (CRF), which focused initially on helping chiropractic colleges become accredited and later turned its efforts to research and researcher training. It was in 1967 that CRF changed its name to the Foundation for Chiropractic Education and Research.
To honor FCER, ACA encourages doctors of chiropractic to continue to support research by making a financial contribution to one of the many fine chiropractic college research programs.
Source: American Chiropractic Association, www.acatoday.org