March 15, 2013 — The American Chiropractic Association (ACA) presented its annual awards this month during its House of Delegates meeting in Washington, D.C. ACA’s awards are given to outstanding volunteer members and other individuals for their contributions to advancing the chiropractic profession.
The association’s highest honor, the Chiropractor of the Year Award, was given posthumously to former Nebraska state Delegate and Medicare Committee Chairman Ritch Miller, DC, who passed away last year. The award recognizes exceptional service, achievement and leadership to the profession.
Aside from his service to his patients, Miller is best remembered for his work on behalf of senior citizens. Miller was one of the top experts on Medicare in the chiropractic community, and he never backed down from the fight to ensure that seniors have access to the health care provider of their choice — including doctors of chiropractic (DCs).
Past Chairman of ACA’s Board of Governors Louis Sportelli, DC, president of NCMIC Group, Inc. received ACA’s Humanitarian of the Year Award. The award recognizes Sportelli’s support of the chiropractic profession throughout a career lasting more than 50 years. Sportelli has dedicated himself to advancing knowledge within the profession, as well as advancing the public’s understanding of chiropractic, and he has coauthored several risk management and patient education textbooks. Leadership development has also been a major focus of Sportelli’s career, including his longstanding support for the Student American Chiropractic Association’s annual Leadership Conference. Sportelli is a past recipient of ACA’s Chiropractor of the Year Award and is a past president of the World Federation of Chiropractic.
Other 2013 award recipients include:
- Phillip Arnone, DC, of Matthews, N.C., Flynn-Lynch Award, which recognizes a member of the HOD who has served fewer than five years
- Kevin Kanz, DC, of Austin, Texas, Alternate Delegate of the Year Award
- Karen Konarski-Hart, DC, of Little Rock, Ark., Delegate of the Year Award
- Dana Lawrence, DC, senior director of the Center for Teaching & Learning and professor at Palmer College of Chiropractic in Davenport, Iowa, Academic of the Year Award
- Michael Schneider, DC, assistant professor at the University of Pittsburgh’s School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences in Pittsburgh, Pa., George B. McClelland, DC, Researcher of the Year Award
“For 50 years, ACA has relied on the dedication, passion and hard work of its volunteers and supporters, and while this year’s crop of award winners follows in lofty footsteps, they have met every challenge with tremendous skill and tenacity,” said ACA President Keith Overland, DC. “It is my honor to bestow these awards on behalf of ACA.”
Source: American Chiropractic Association, acatoday.org